Friday, June 5, 2009

A Mother's Dream Realized

MANEY GRADUATES - Front row: Claire I. Potter (1957), Marjorie M. McCullough, (1954), G.Lamarr Roussey (1949). Back row: Merlyn L. Maney (1959), Richard L. Maney (1951), C. Dennis Maney (1945), and William Homer Maney, Jr. (1943).

The story behind the photo:

When I graduated from Clearfield Area High School in 1959, my Mother, Edith Imo (Mease) Maney expressed her joy and satisfaction in how extremely proud she, and my Father, William Homer Maney, Sr., were that all seven children had successfully completed their schooling by graduating from Clearfield High.

With seven children, and World War II in the midst of their schooling, this was apparently a rare event of that time. To commerate the occasion, she contacted CHS Principal Howard (Speedy) Mead and arranged for the loan of mortarboards and graduation gowns to permit all we children to be adorned in the ceremonial graduation dress for a group photo taken by Ward Smith at his studio in Clearfield.

Mother and Father were also included in another photo. William Homer, Jr., was fatally injured by a careless driver on Dec. 16, 1965. He was drafted in his senior year, three days after his March 26, 1945 birthday; therefore, he was in the Army at graduation time and received his diploma in absentia, never having the opportunity of the pomp and circumstance of graduation.

I believe this was a contributing factor in why Mother wanted the photo of us all in the graduation attire. C. Dennis passed away suddenly this year, on May 9, 2009.

An additional bit of info: How I got the name "Herb". When Homer, Jr. returned from the service in 1946, he had not seen me since I was two years old. "Little Herbie" was a very popular comic strip at the time and was made available to the soldiers in their newspaper.

Little Herbie had a blond tuft of hair on the top of his head, not unlike the hair I was sporting at the time. When Homer Jr. first saw me, upon his return, he said, "there's Little Herbie"! Hence, I still retain that moniker to this day, and have even passed it on to our eldest son, as "Herbie".


- Merlyn L. ("Little Herbie") Maney


No comments: