Monday, July 9, 2012

Memories of Mr. Bill Butler - teacher and friend


By Wil Shirey


I am so sad to learn of Mr. Bill Butler's death. He was a wonderful human being!
 
He and I became friends over a two year period when I was in college at Indiana State Teacher's College and I tendered him in the summer when he was patching plaster in Clearfield Area Schools. We had a wonderful time. I followed Joe Rohrbaugh as his helper.
 
I had been in his homeroom class as a senior and had enjoyed his tutorials on the machines he was teaching his business students how to use. Soon after that, computers became the standard and I'm sure he adapted quickly. However, none will forget his coming out in the morning and clapping his hands and saying "Let's move it along, folks!" and we all did.
 
He grew up in the town of Indiana and his father and brother had a plastering business there. When I was a student at what became IUP, a law or ordinance was passed that required plastering the ceiling in the furnace room. At that point, I was the house manager for my fraternity. I called Mr Butler's father and explained who I was and what we needed done. As I recall they did it for nothing or almost nothing.
 
Bill Butler projected the loving caring attributes of his family. I only got the job because my father had served on the school board for nearly 30 years. But because of Bill Butler, I loved every minute of it and learned a lot. That first year I tried chewing Mail Pouch tobacco to keep the plaster dust out of my mouth. The first day I nearly threw up. He said to me, "How'd that tobacco go?" knowing full well how green I had been. I said, "Not real great!" He replied, "I had a similar experience." I loved the guy!!!
 
~ Wil Shirey
 


No comments: