Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Remembering Robert Henry

By Dennis Mollura

Every high school class has its share of "stars" and "heroes" -- scholars, athletes, band members, musicians, vocalists, cheerleaders, comedians, student leaders, party people, social activists and the like. They tend to dominate the events and activities of our school years. They are what and whom we remember most. Their achievements and accolades are hard-earned and well-deserved.

Peel back a layer or two of the social strata and you find many other heroes and stars. For me, the tallest among them was my friend and classmate Robert Henry.

I first met Robert in Mrs. Ida Cowder's first grade class at Fourth Ward School. We sat next to each other and shared many a laugh and friendly tussle and tumble, along with other nearby deskmates Dicky Spingola and Johnny McDivitt.

I lost touch with Robert after contracting a severe muscle ailment about halfway through that first year. Our friendship was rekindled, however, when I finally was able to give it another go in the Sixth Grade. It was great being back in school with friends and classmates, old and new.

But the experience was brief as the muscle ailment struck again. Going to school became more and more difficult until, finally, it became impossible to walk the last half block up Market Street and up the stairs of Leonard Grade School.

It was on a bitterly cold day in January that Robert, strong and robust, literally carried me that last half block and up the stairs to Miss Betty Brown's homeroom. He simply picked me up face-to-face in a bear-hug and carried me up the street and up the stairs. He then went to the principal and volunteered to perform this task every day if it would help me continue in school. But it was not to be.

I remember a lot about Robert Henry -- his infectious smile and laugh, his easy-going manner, and his powerful body which enabled him to excel in football, track and volleyball. I remember the day he proudly told the class of the birth of his baby brother Jonathan. I remember his kindness and concern for a classmate who needed a lift.

Tragically, Robert passed away at an early age. I'm not entirely clear on the details, but I believe he contracted a virulent disease while serving his country in the military.

Robert, if I could, I would thank you for the many sweet memories and moments. I would express my deep appreciation for taking it upon yourself to relieve my distress. Most of all, I would thank you for giving a friend one good, last day in the Sixth Grade at Leonard Grade School.

No comments: