Monday, March 10, 2008

Orvis Provides an Historical Note


We had promised to bring the Wilbur saga to a merciful conclusion, but this message from Orvis Kline was too important to pass up. It's offered here for its historical value.

You've had me chuckling over the "Wilbur and the Girl Scouts Saga" since last week! Thanks for a good laugh! I did "feel" a little for Wil as my kids tell me I'm getting forgetful (BALDERDASH is the old expression, I believe, in answer to that!), and as one of the younger members of our class - I felt maybe I should try to help the "old boy" out. Using some of the skills I've picked up over the years as Family Tree Historian and genealogist for our family, I did a search of the Progress archives and got hundreds of hits for "Girl Scouts" and "Girl Scout Headquarters" (which, by the way, is described as the old Susquehanna College of Music building located on E Locust St. between 3rd and 4th Streets), but only ONE hit for Girl Scouts and Dance - and Wilbur wasn't mentioned! I'm not going to argue with Linda's picture, but the Progress seemed to print little stories about almost EVERYTHING that took place in Clearfield back then - and I repeat - Wilbur is not mentioned in connection with any dances!

No comments: