Sunday, March 9, 2008

Classmates Move to Help - or Bury - Wilbur

A number of classmates have jumped in to support (or bury) Wilbur Shirey in his claim that he was invited and attended Girl Scout dance held in some unnamed venue on Third Street back in 1955 or 1956 in Clearfield. We simply present the facts. You, his peers and classmates, decide whether he is vindicated or subject to further observation.


Wilbur Shirey:

MAYDAY MAYDAY!!!! SOS!!! Somebody help me, I'm going down. He's convinced (wife)Karen I'm off my meds and she's taking me to the home! Somebody, anybody! You've got to write to this "WACKO" Mollura and talk to him about the Girl Scout dances!

Joyce Moody:

Sorry, bud. I can't help you with your dilemma this time. I just came back from having breakfast with friends and asked if they knew of this "place" on Third Street and received no responses. ..C'mon Shirey - we need more names of the Girl Scouts involved to verify the stability of your mental status.

Joyce Shugarts:

I remember the girl scout building on Locust Street. I also have a vague recollection of dressing up in taffeta skirts and silk blouses and special occasions. There was a second floor in that building and there may have been dances there. Sorry Wil but I don't remember you being invited to the dance. As for the parties in (a classmate's) basement I remember them also. They were mostly on a Friday night and were a lot a dancing and fun.

More from Joyce Moody:

I ran into Margaret Bennett at JG Warehouse this p.m. She is the widow of Harold Bennett and together they were the owners/operators of the Bennett & Houser Funeral Home on Locust Street in Clearfield. I asked her about the Music Academy and she said that it was at the rear of the Bennett & Houser Funeral Home and she did recall that the Girl Scouts would meet there. Also, she remembered that a Nadine Schaeffer taught piano lessons at that location. Margaret said that building has since been torn down. Wil, I don't know if this will help your memory or not. Sure hope so! And the saga goes on . . . .

Peggy Jo Knepp:

Ok Dennis.......you & Wilbur are going to be roommates at the "home" for the misunderstood. I did say the GS meetings I attended were on the side street by the Lyric....NOT the alley where the bowling alley was. The old bldg where I went to GS meetings sat back from the street......I'm thinking between what is now Zalno's jewelry & the funeral home. Building has been gone forever. Old wooden bldg.....basically a large room with kitchenette & necessary room. Do NOT remember having dances there but it's entirely possible. I DO remember Rainbow Girl dances but they were usually at the Dimeling & maybe a couple at the Legion. Maybe (others)can shed more light.....or MAYBE poor Wilbur is......well, let's just let it go at that!

No comments: