Thursday, September 4, 2008

Capt. Shirey Responds to Article on Neil Buckley

Yankee Papa 13, by Larry Burrows, Life Magazine, April 1965

Vietnam Veteran Voices Opinion on ‘New Campus Spirit’
(The Progress, February 6, 1967)

I write tonight (Jan. 18) from Vietnam after reading page three of The Progress (Postscript) dated Jan. 7, 1967, the subject of which was “A New Spirit on Campus.

I congratulate Bill Lee on the display of his prowess as a journalist. However, I criticize you for the use of an entire page of newsprint dedicated solely to the activities of an old high school classmate of mine, Neil Buckley, with the rather dubious distinction of “Leader of the Penn State chapter of Students for a Democratic Society.”

I am afraid that most newspapers give their readers a rather slanted view of college students by publishing the questionable actions of an extreme minority, but then that is what your readers enjoy, as I certainly did the above article.

My basic disagreement with the article probably stems from the fact that I fall into that category of people who would walk a mile carrying a can of gasoline and a carton of matches for gratuitous issue to all demonstrators.

I still have enough faith in my generation to think that Neil could more effectively voice his opinion through a more reputable organization than the Students for a Democratic Society.

Capt. Wilbur C. Shirey
278th Supply and Service Bn.
Vietnam


P.S. -- I also believe that if Neil would relinquish some of his extra-curricular activities, he could learn as much on the trimester system as he did on the semester system

No comments: