Monday, September 1, 2008

Neil's Undergraduate Years at Penn State


In his undergraduate years at Penn State, Neil again was a serious student and showman. I recall walking between classes during the two-week freshman hazing period and, almost without fail, seeing him standing high on an exterior stairway or park bench being taunted by a group of upperclassmen. And Neil, again being Neil, always could be counted upon to make a speech:

"As everyone knows, this class of freshmen has the highest I.Q. of any class before us!”

For whatever that was worth, Neil made it known. And a substantial number of Penn State students were thus informed. Finally, it occurred to me. These were not random events. They were set-ups. Neil was hazing them!

Neil and I roomed close by in the West Hall dorms through much of our undergraduate years. He always seemed an earnest, high-achieving student. His assignments were always completed in advance. Mine sometimes lagged. I remember that at the end of our senior year, I was wholly unprepared for our final open-book exam in English Literature. He loaned me his paper to copy and crib. Believe he got an A or B. I got a D, and was grateful for it - needing every single credit to graduate early.

We graduated on the same day in March 1963. I never saw him again.

- Dennis Mollura

No comments: