Monday, September 1, 2008

Some Memories of a Changed Neil Buckley from Suzy Sherkel Nagle

During high school - summers, mostly - Neil and John Berthot (who was two or three years ahead of us) used to come to my house to listen to my dad's jazz records. My mother always told me that she had known Neil's father was a jazz musician somewhere in the Pittsburgh area. Neil, among others, also used to come and sit around our dining room table when it was time to get our U.S. History notebooks up to snuff for Harold Wisor's scrutiny or to study for tests.

I think it was at the very beginning of the summer after our sophomore year at Wittenberg that my roommate, Marilyn Bitler, came home with me on the way to her home in New Jersey. Neil came to visit and was "smitten" (Marl was a stunner!) with her. Then, later that year, when we were back in school, he and Jim Stewart came to Springfield, OH to spend a weekend.

I also remember one summer (late 60's or early 70's), when I was "home" with our kids spending time with my folks, my mom told me that Helen Lantz (Neil’s mother) had called to tell her that Neil was in town. So I went to Helen and Dick's house on West Market St. and had a really weird visit. At that time everything Neil said had to do with the "coming revolution", and he never used the personal pronoun "I". It was all "we". I chided him about that, and he accused me of "selling out" to the establishment! Helen later apologized for that. (She was the truant officer for the school district, and I used to see her a lot in the high school office.)

No comments: